Who doesn’t love a small token of appreciation? Pop-Bys are small gifts you give to your clients to express gratitude for their business and referrals. They’re a fun surprise and offer an excuse to get in front of your clients and say, “Hello, remember me, your REALTOR…” and discover new ways to serve them. Make your Pop-Bys stand out with the following tips.
- Don’t forget to write a personal note. Following up with a handwritten personal note is not only good form, it also gives you another opportunity to say how much you enjoyed seeing them, let them know that you’re there to serve them and remind them you’re never too busy for any of their referrals.
- Keep it short. Pop-Bys are intended to be brief visits, not all-afternoon stays. Think three-to-five minutes, not thirty minutes. Some tips to keep in mind: • Keep your car running. You’ll be less inclined to stay longer if your car is idling in the driveway. • Don’t go inside, even if your clients invite you. And, if you do go inside, stay standing. • Be the one who ends the conversation first.
- Prepare ahead of time. Although it seems as if the Pop-By is spontaneous, in reality it takes some planning. While many agents purchase items at discount stores, it’s also a good idea to take advantage of sales. Although the best time to pick up Pop-By gifts is at the after-Christmas sales, many retailers offer sales before the holidays on items that are usually expensive to buy in bulk. Also, it helps to keep a few Pop-By items in the trunk of your car. You never know when you’ll be out showing a house and find yourself in the neighborhood of one of your favorite clients. Having Pop-By items in your car gives you the chance to connect with a client and plant the seed for future business.
- Put a clever tag on it. A witty tag makes you stand out from your competition and puts you at the top of your clients’ minds. Be sure to include your business card or other branded piece; that way, they have it handy if a friend or loved one mentions they’re in the market to buy or sell a home.
- Have fun! If you’re having fun, it’ll show in your face, voice and overall energy. Keep your energy high when you deliver your Pop-Bys and keep it light. The more you enjoy seeing your clients the more fun you’ll have. Take advantage of the social nature of the holiday season to reconnect with your clients and surprise them with a thoughtful gift of appreciation. If dropping in on your clients makes you nervous, start with your favorite clients first; once you’re on a roll, delivering Pop-Bys becomes easier. Although the visit only takes a few minutes of your time, you’ll enjoy the results into next year.
Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2015. All rights reserved.