If you're itching to remodel but the budget just won’t allow it, these inexpensive fixes from Better Homes & Gardens Magazine may help give you the look and efficiency you want with price tags of under $150:
- Shelving for extra storage – Take advantage of small, unclaimed wall or corner space in your kitchen and add open shelving to hold dishes, cookware and spices within easy reach. Embellish plain shelves with decorative brackets, and if you entertain often, add a wine rack.
- Upgrade cabinets with molding – Plain, personality-less kitchen cabinets take on new sophistication with the simple addition of molding at the edges. You can do it yourself with a little guidance from home store designers.
- Restore the floor – The warmth and versatility of wood is incomparable, but exposure to dirt and foot traffic can leave it looking dull. Restore the shine factor and give a room a whole new look by polishing the floor with a product specifically designed for hardwood floors.
- Give the fireplace a lift – Give a dated brick fireplace a modern makeover with a fresh coat of paint. Start by thoroughly cleaning the brick to loosen grime. Apply a stain-blocking primer, then paint with a high-gloss paint.
- Add crown molding – Crown molding on walls, doors and ceiling makes any living space look finished and luxurious. You can transform a room with trim in a weekend with affordable, off-the-rack moldings from a local home improvement center.
- Try Roman shades – Give windows a custom look at a low price with do-it-yourself window treatments. With a mini-blind and mid-weight upholstery fabric, you can create a charming roman shade to block out sun and boost your décor.
- Hassle-free game area – Create a dedicated zone to serve as a central spot for the games, movies and music your family uses most often. A media cabinet with divided shelves should keep it all neat – or use a bookcase with a combination of bins and baskets to keep everything organized and ready.
By Barbara Pronin, Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2015. All rights reserved.