February can feel like the off month of the year – you've been through the busy holiday season and a few months of winter, but spring still feels a little ways off. Need something to do? How about ticking these tasks off your home maintenance checklist to keep your home clean, organized, and warm? Then you can just hunker down and wait for warmer weather.
Your February Checklist
Home Maintenance Tasks
- Check caulking and grout around sinks, showers, and tubs; clean grout or repair as needed
- Regularly check roof and gutters for ice dams and icicles
- Clean and vacuum curtains, window blinds, and ceiling fans
- HVAC system: vacuum and dust
- Clean garbage disposal: Run with crushed ice to sharpen, then with baking soda and citrus peels
- Test carbon monoxide and smoke detectors; replace batteries as needed
- Plumbing: check for leaks on supply lines to sinks and toilets
- Repair any interior wall damage; touch up paint where it's needed or paint an accent wall
- Electrical: Test and reset all ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) receptacles; check all extension cords for wear and tear
Home Care Tips
Spruce up your entryway
Clean off the mud and snow, salt, and general dirt buildup from your entryway. Organize winter boots and gear and take a few minutes to thoroughly clean the porch and floors, and put everything in its place.
Declutter your paperwork
Organize your bills and discard paperwork that has piled up. Set up your home workspace to be a pleasant area where you can tackle those bills and keep your life organized.
Purchase tax software
Get your tax information in order, and if you do your own taxes, now’s the time to order your tax software. Look for discounts, like AAA or employer benefits discounts, that can save you a good chunk of money.
Collect your old cell phones, printer cartridges, and batteries and head to a recycling center or store that will take this stuff off your hands. Some stores offer discounts on print cartridge purchases when you recycle the old ones with them.
Make something for the people you love
Family, friends, and partners always welcome custom-made Valentine’s Day baked goods, handmade gifts, and homemade dinners. Treat yourself to some chocolate and flowers while you’re at it!
Book your summer rental
Make your warm weather plans now and put a deposit down to reserve your spot. You’ll be glad you booked that charming cottage or BnB before the prime locations are all gone.