A home protection plan, also called a home warranty plan, is a service contract that covers important home appliances and systems you use every day. Unlike homeowners insurance, which protects the structure of your home from damages, a home protection plan from First American covers the systems and appliances that can and do break when you least expect. When a covered appliance or system breaks, we will take care of finding a service provider and repairing or replacing the item. We offer flexible monthly or yearly payment options, a renewable contract, and a 30-day money back guarantee if you change your mind for any reason.*
Learn more about how a home protection plan works.
What does a First American home protection plan include?
First American Home Warranty offers a variety of home protection plans and options that cover everything from essential appliances to major home systems. Our Basic Plan has coverage that includes crucial home appliances such as your kitchen appliances, washer, dryer, and more. The Premier Plan includes appliances plus major home systems such as plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and more. Here are just some of the items that a home protection plan can protect.
Washer & Dryer
Oven Range & Cooktop
Central Air Conditioning
Leaks and Breaks
Toilet Tanks & Bowls
Attic & Exhaust Fans
Garage Door Openers
Pool & Spa Equipment
Want to learn more? Check out our home warranty cost comparison.
How does a home protection plan work?
When you have a home protection plan from First American, we want you to call us when your appliances and systems break, and we’ll start the process of getting the covered item repaired or replaced. Here’s how it works:
- You Request Service – When an appliance or home system covered by your home protection plan breaks, you can call us at 800.992.3400 or sign in to your online home warranty account to request service 24/7.
- We Assign a Service Provider – We'll assign a member of our large prescreened service provider network. The contractor will call you to schedule an appointment within four business hours of the request. In most cases, all that is owed is one low fee for the service call that you’ll pay either when you request service or to the contractor directly when they arrive at your home.**
- Service Provider Diagnoses Problem – At the appointment, the technician will diagnose the problem and, if needed, report the findings to you and First American.
- Repair or Replace Covered Item – If the problem can be fixed, often the technician will be able to repair the item that day. If parts need to be ordered, additional visits may be needed to complete the repair or replacement. If a covered item is beyond repair, we’ll replace it.†
Want more details? See our infographic on how the service process works.
How long does it take to request service?
We’re available by phone 24/7 to take your service request. Or, you can log in to your home warranty account to request service any time. We monitor and rate our contractors on their response times, so we can make sure to get someone out to help you as quickly as we can.
How does First American Home Warranty decide between repairs or a replacement?
Although home appliances and systems have a limited life, we’ll always do our best to repair your broken covered item. If the item is beyond repair, we’ll replace it with one with similar features, efficiency, and capacity. You can also agree to accept payment of cash in lieu of replacement if you want a certain brand, model, color, etc.††
How much does a First American home protection plan cost?
Most of us have better things to do with our money than to spend it on fixing broken appliances or home systems. That’s why a home protection plan from First American makes so much sense.
You can protect nearly all appliances in your home for less than $1 a day, and you’ll never worry about how to manage repairs again. For just a little more, less than $1.50 a day, you can also protect your home’s plumbing, heating, and electrical systems as well as your water heater, ductwork, and more.
It’s easy to get a quick no-obligation online home warranty quote to see the plans that suit your needs. You’ll have peace of mind knowing that when a covered item breaks, all you need to do is simply call First American or go online to request service.
Can I cancel my home warranty plan?
If for any reason you change your mind and want to cancel your First American Home Warranty plan, you have a full 30 days after your coverage goes into effect to cancel and get your money back.* It's that easy.
What sets First American home protection plans apart?
At First American, we’re committed to customer satisfaction and providing superior value.
More than 35 years of experience
With over 35 years as a leading home warranty company, we have the strength and stability to honor our commitments to you. We’re proud to carry the First American name, which was awarded in 2013 as one of the most trustworthy companies in America by Forbes Magazine. A great honor that we take very seriously, and strive to live up to every day.
$177 million spent in 2019
In 2019 First American spent more than $177 million‡‡ fixing heating and air condition systems, refrigerators, washers, dryers, and more. All for homeowners just like you.
63% of customers file at least one claim
Last year almost 2/3 of our customers filed a claim at least one time. And there is no limit to the number of service requests you can make, so you could save thousands of dollars in a single year.
No age limit on covered items
All covered items should be in good working order, but there’s no inspection required to receive your First American home warranty, and no age limit on your home’s covered items.
- We won’t ask for maintenance records when evaluating a claim.
- We cover for lack of maintenance, sediment buildup, and rust and corrosion, which other home warranties companies might use to deny a claim.
- First American's coverage limits are some of the most generous in the industry.
Get a personalized home warranty quote to see the protection plans that are right for your home and budget.
* Contract may be canceled in writing, within 30 days of the contract effective date for a full refund of any contract fees paid provided no claims have been filed. In the event claims have been filed, paid claims expense will be deducted from any eligible refund at the time of cancellation. In some cases, the claim expense on contracts with claims filed will exceed contract fees paid at the time of cancellation so no refund will be available.
** First American warrants its work for 30 days. In some instances you may incur additional costs.
† In some instances, you may be offered cash in lieu of repair or replacement. Payment will be made based on First American’s negotiated rates with its suppliers, which may be less than retail.
†† Please note that payment will be made based on First American's negotiated rates with its suppliers, which may be less than retail.
‡ Pricing varies by location. Includes $3 handling fee per payment. Please request a quote for details. Does not apply to Full Pay Plans.
‡‡ Paid invoices net of service fees in 2019, prior to deductions and/or rebates.