Add a Soothing Water Structure to Your Backyard, Without Breaking the Bank
The soothing sound of a bubbling fountain or a trickling waterfall can have an immediate calming and relaxing effect on our minds and bodies. Even with a small outdoor space… or a small budget, you can create a DIY one-of-a-kind water element, without breaking the bank. It’s amazing what you can create with just a few tools, pots, and plants that can rival more expensive store-bought renditions.
Don’t be daunted by the “DIY” concept. A small-scale water feature is, in fact, an easy DIY project that will add a lot of peacefulness to your backyard, or curb appeal to your front yard. The water element you create can be in the form of a waterfall, bubbler, “pondless” pond, or even a simple bird bath. Before starting your project, consider factors such as available outdoor space, water supply, electricity supply, and whether children or pets will be nearby.
Why Add a DIY Water Feature?
Here are a few of the positive aspects to creating this project on your own:
- It’s a great option if you’re limited on space and/or budget.
- DIY water features are more eco-friendly than traditional fountains or ponds because they require less water.
- Smaller water elements are a safer option than adding a pond or large fountain that children or pets can fall into.
- There's far less maintenance to do for them than with a traditional pond or fountain.
- You get the satisfaction of making it yourself and creating a cool and unusual outdoor space!
We’ve pulled together some great ideas for DIY water features on our Pinterest board. You’ll find loads of unique ideas that will reinvigorate your outdoor space—and your mind and body—creating a serene and soothing oasis with the simple sounds and reflections of water. What are you waiting for?